IRS est. quarterly payments

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Jun 4 13:11:53 MDT 2007

>       I know that in order not to get an IRS penalty you gotta send in in
>estimnated payments at least 90% of the previous year's business
>worth of tax..
>
>        My questrion is:Does anyone know if the quarterly payments must be in
>equal amounts? In other words, if my estimated yearly tax comes out I usually
>owe $400, (that would be $100 per quarter),  can I send them only $10 for the
>first three quarters estmiamted payments, and then send the remaining $370 in
>the last quarter of the year? Is that legal or allowed?  My business is poorer
>in the summer, its such a burden!

The way I understand it is that you take last years tax and divide by
four. Something
should be paid each quarter and 75% of that must be remitted before
the last quarter
unless you earned less the current year (in which case you still need
to have 75% in
before the last quarter).  If you make more than the previous year you are only
liable for the estimated payments derived from the previous year but
I'm not sure
which the 75% pertains to.

If some quarters are not as profitable as others you can pay the tax
liability on
the amount earned.

Check out the IRS website.
--