What's a tuning business worth?

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 1 17:57:24 MDT 2007

Jim,

It's hard to put a value on your client list.  The amount of business it
brings to the buyer could be nothing, could be a lot.  One experience:
When I was just starting out, another tech in our chapter was leaving
the business, and offered his client list for sale.  He had tuned for me
once, a half-dozen years before, after which I switched to a different
tuner.  I was on the list for sale.  Figured the list was pretty
low-quality.  Some months later, he was able to sell the list "on
consignment".  The deal was, the buyer would pay him an agreed
percentage of the first tuning of any client on the list.  Grapevine has
it that not much money has changed hands.

If I were contemplating retirement, I might also consider the plight of
my clients, and work at finding them a competent technician who would be
worthy of  their trust.  The buyer of your list will want you to write a
letter of introduction / recommendation to your clients, and you'll want
to be able to say more about him than that he was the highest bidder.
Not that a valuable client list shouldn't bring you some income on the
way out, but there are other important considerations.  Just my 2c.

Mike