Ivers and Pond

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 31 16:15:25 MDT 2007

Today I met what I think was about a 1936 Ivers and Pond console (though I
would not have expected one that old- s/n789** to be pretty small.)   Three
disintegrated jack springs made me wonder if it had been a mouse house, but
it was very clean. Perhaps the local who sold it to her filed hammers (with
still did have some discoloration on top) and gotten rid of most.  Top of
plate and t-pins were painted gold of course.....

My quandary-  I could get NO settings on Tunelab which would offer even a
modestly reasonable tuning.  Did two different sets of measurements and
scads of octave selections.  Unisons almost didn't sound like unisons, and I
resorted to "aural" tuning, though when finished I would be very hard
pressed to say it was actually tuned because I could only occasionally hear
beats, hearing aids notwithstanding.  I normally can handle an aural tuning,
even though I prefer to use ETD most of the time, but this left me puzzled.
Any experienced observations appreciated.
les bartlett