Finding the strike line another method

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 27 07:00:13 MDT 2007

Many years ago at the Baldwin factory, their engineers discovered that on a
particular grand model, the sustain was improved in the 6th octave, by what
they called an "indenting" the hammer line.  This was incorporated into the
production of this model for decades to follow.  A later generation of
engineers took a second look at the problem, and judged that it would be
better to make changes to the plate to maintain the strike points resulting
from the indented hammer line, but restoring the original straight hammer
line.

Frank Emerson

Behalf
> Of Steve Blasyak
> Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 10:45 AM
> To: Pianotech List
> Subject: RE: Finding the strike line another method
>
> Hey Now,
>
> To David, Dale and all the list.
>
> Is this procedure/phenomenom only present on Steinways?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Stuck in Yamaha M500 land...it could be worse I could have wurlitzers with
> separated pin blocks :-).
>
> Just kidding I have my fair share of nice Grands, and a few Steinways too.
>
> Steve
>
> OC CA.
>
> Pura Vida

Then
> > work my way up the scale until I find the note which doesn't need to be
> > moved.  In this case C7 was fine but F6 need to come in to 127 mm and
the
> > notes between C7 and F6 progressed uniformly.  I made a mark on the key
> > indicating a 3 mm move was necessary on F6 and C7 was ok.  Next I hung
> > samples at the end of the lower capo section (C5 and E6) and on G5 and
C6
> so
> > that the samples are fairly evenly spaced through the section.  I secure
> the
> > hammers with only a tiny spot of glue on the top of the shank and don't
> spin
> > the hammer as I slide it on.  That makes it very easy to remove but
holds
> it
> > in place so you can test for tone without the hammer rotating on you.
By