Wanting to do it right

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Wed Jul 18 17:09:48 MDT 2007

Well, you aren't really that stuck. Any tech working for a dealer has to
walk the balancing act you are facing. The dealer (speaking as a former
dealer myself) is obviously concerned with maximizing his profit. His
overhead and expenses are  huge. You need to do everything in your power to
assist him towards that end.

Speaking also as a tech who used to work for a dealer doing what you are
doing, I know many times I would have to "eat" work just to make things come
out all right for the customer and the dealer. If I did $40-$80 worth of
extra, I could usually slip an extra $10-25 charge onto the dealer's bill
without asking permission. Just note on the invoice the time it took, your
regular rate,  and the dealer's maximum discounted rate. Explain that the
work had to be done. You get a little money for your efforts and the pill
isn't quite as bitter.

It sounds like there are some things you could do differently to alleviate
your stress. First, you obviously don't have to use WD40. Use Goose Juice or
Protek instead. If you need to repin, just do it. Once you get good it
doesn't take that long. You have to isolate the components giving you the
excess friction. Likely the problem is in the keys. Carefully fit the keys.
Make sure the balance rail mortise is cut deep enough. Ease the balance rail
hole enough so that the key drops on the pin. Make sure there isn't excess
drag on the bushings. Then use a pipe cleaner and coat the bushings with
teflon powder.

Second, I can't imagine how you can tune a new piano twice and it still be
going flat. You need to examine your pitch raising techniques and make some
changes. Reyburn CyberTuner would be a huge help here.

Then accept the fact that you might have to do some work and not get paid.
Think of it as a cost of doing business. How much would you pay to get one
new customer that will have their piano tuned every 6 months for the next 20
years, and tell 10 of their friends about you?

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802