Board finish

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Wed Jul 18 11:00:02 MDT 2007

Hi Joe.

While poly urethane is of course not the traditional way to varnish a
soundboard, it is interesting to note that the Alfred Jahn company (Germany,
they are like Pianotek out there, www.pianoteile.com ) have a quite
extensive paper about it's benefits.  I just bought their both solutions for
soundboard varnishing, so to give them a try : a traditional receipe and the
poly urethane.  Of course, poly urethane looks like way easier to apply, and
they claim they found one that sounds good (hoping to raise comments about
influence of varnish on sound).
Their catalogs are online.

This looks like the same thread about what can you change compared to
original design until you end up with something else than original
authority.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.