SV: Re: Palm vs Pocket Pc

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:08:19 MDT 2007

Hi Paul,

Regarding PDAs and mileage, I use Excel spreadsheets to keep up with
mileage. It's really easy to create with Excel, although I use
OpenOffice Calc to do it, then save as an Excel file. (I use Documents
to Go for Excel and Word files on the Palm.)

I have small spreadsheets for each month so I don't have to scroll
down forever to enter the date and starting mileage w a y y y down at
the bottom of the spreadsheet.

Once the month is up, I'll bluetooth the file to my Mac, where it's
stored for permanent record keeping. Then I'll bluetooth the next
month's template to my Palm.  (It keeps the documents folder more free
so I don't have to look through a bunch of documents to find 'July
2007 Mileage.'

It's easy to copy and paste the 12 small spreadsheets into a larger
spreadsheet to calculate mileage for the entire year. This is just the
way I do it. I'm sure there are better and easier ways, but probably
none so free and straightforward.

Anyone want a template? Let me know, and I'll email it.

I've seen the Michelin GPS, and am glad to get some feedback from a
user. Would love to have Verizon, but service is not good here. No
other cell phone that my provider has will do GPS, although I've seen
some subscription-based services that might possibly work.

I'd like to have a dedicated GPS device, but I'm always trying to
reduce the number of devices that have to be plugged in to my car. I
get frustrated with power cords!  Since I already use a PDA, I'm
leaning toward a PDA that has GPS.  I'm planning to do CTE training
eventually, so I need to have an ETD for that. Grrr!  RCT is probably
what I will get b/c of its small size.

By the way, I've been to San Diego once, and would love to get lost
anywhere there. It's a beautiful city! ;-)

JF