SV: Re: Palm vs Pocket Pc

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 18 07:42:09 MDT 2007

There are a huge amount of Palm applications.  I use a program called Trip Deluxe, which helps me keep track of mileage.  It will print out the information through Excel, which allows customization of the layout and information.  I love the Palm platform because the software is bullet-proof.  Like in the old days of DOS and XT computers, the software is very efficient.  It doesn't crash, ever.  No need for updates and patches.  No "bloatware" in the Palm.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work with Cybertuner, Tunelab or Veritune.  They do have the Palm Treo 700 series that runs Windows Mobile, that will work with PPC applications like Cybertuner, etc., and has the included cell phone.  You can get GPS capability with the Treo as an added unit.
If you make your PPc GPS capable, you would use a special mount on your dashboard, not hold the thing in your hand.  It has to have a clear view of the sky, so it needs to be on the dashboard or suction-cupped to the windshield.  The stand-alone units come with the mount included.  I purchased a very inexpensive unit made by Michelin, for about $200, which works very well.  It has the SIRF III chipset in it, which is very sensitive and fast.  If your GPS unit doesn't have this chipset, don't buy it.  The better units have "talking" prompts that say the street names and have capability to warn of traffic jams and rerouting, but you'll pay more for extra features.  I've found I don't need all the bells and whistles (ok, so I'm cheap!  It would be nice, tho).  I keep the unit in the glove box to hide it from thieves.
    FWIW.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego