Ad-vice

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Tue Jul 17 07:14:16 MDT 2007

There's a piano technician in a nearby city who always runs a lovely ad in
the Symphony program.  I can tell you what city he lives/works in and I can
tell you that he only services Steinway grands... but I cannot tell you his
name or business name or telephone number.  Hmmm, I suspect that's not what
he intended.

So, one comment:  make sure the "hook" in your ad makes your name or contact
info memorable.  It's nice of you to remind folks to get their pianos
tuned -- but what you really want is for them to have YOU tune 'em!

My guess, based on experience, is that the ad won't be a money-maker for
you -- but supporting the arts is always a good gesture, and it might be the
tipping point that gets a customer to call you, rather than some other
technician.

Our chapter has been running an ad in the Iowa MTA magazine and, as far as I
know, no one has gotten any work directly from the ad.  On the other hand,
if it has made music teachers more aware of the PTG, then it has succeeded
in at least one important way.

Annie Grieshop
www.allthingspiano.com