CA tuning pins

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 21:07:07 MDT 2007

Dean writes:

<< A hypo oiler is a must for an applicator, though I know some
prefer a syringe and needle. >>

      Greetings,
      I have had great results with the CA I buy from Stewart MacDonald.  The
price has, surprisingly, gone down in the last year.  Their # 10 CA is
water-thin and comes in a sealed foil package with a long needle-tip applicator
included. They even sell packages of these needle-tips for next to nothing, ( DO
NOT attempt to blow the little bit of glue out of the tip with your breath when
you are done, DAMHIK).   One bottle is enough for at least two pianos and is
so cheap that I bought three times as much of it as I needed for the job.
Then,  in the next month, I ended up doing two more.  Keep it in the fridge and I
think it will stay fresh for at least a year.
     I have also used it for the one or two questionable pins in some pianos
I tune often.  It wasn't necessary to keep the pin from slipping, but it made
"setting the pin" far more straightforward.  One piano had, in the past, been
treated to Garfield's and the pins turned like broomsticks in congealed
oatmeal.  I could tune it to a stable degree, but it was nerve-wracking because I
couldn't tell when the pin began to move or stop.  After the treatment, the
block felt like a normal piano.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
the all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>