What's up with these Polish rebuilds at U.S. dealers?

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Sun Jul 15 11:31:38 MDT 2007

I had only one experience.
1918 SSM
First impression was confusing - nice high gloss poly with beautiful
matching veneer inner rim, music desk and fallboard - this and the Steinway
name threw the first curve. New action to include frame and keys. However,
glides were omitted and the sostenuto monkey guide as well.
Action was not even close to being balanced at over 70 grams down and less
than 19 up.
Back action was original and I replaced it. The lift lever tray was badly
warped and they had gone to great pains to make the dampers work ok.
Sound board appeared new but on closer inspection it had been stripped,
bleached and refinished very carefully - it was dead.
Many case parts did not fit well because of the extra thick finish.
The una chorda stop on the cheek block was missing.
All trap levers were new.
The action was not regulated very well and a few samples showed over 10.5mm
dip - customer did not want me to do any regulation.
It was the shiny kind of thing that trout like people go for.
The rebuilder did not include a disclaimer.
The customer paid about the same price as for a new SSM.
As I was working for the retailer it was a difficult situation.
I will avoid them in the future.
Gene Nelson