How CA started...

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 21:30:29 MDT 2007

Hi Allan,

In 1995 I was asked to tune a Kawai Grand piano that
was from 1962--it had been left under a tarp outside
for the first year of it's life. The organization that
owned it was deeply in debt. So "major repairs" were
just not going to happen.

I decided to try Pin Dope and wrote to the listserv
asking for recommendations.

27 souls replied with sundry and various suggestions
(Mostly Garfields) but 2 folks wrote me privately
saying they had had good luck with CA glue.

In my climate Pin Dope tends to turn the pin block
into a soggy sponge after some time so I decided to
try it.

I followed the piano for some time and did before and
after torque readings--and posted to the main list
about using CA glue.

I don't remember who recommend it to me--but as far as
pianotech goes I think I was the first to post about
it.

At 02:39 PM 7/13/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>Legend has it that the whole CA for pinblocks thing
started with some customer who, tiring of constantly
having to pay for tunings, decided to glue the pins in
place so the tuning would be permanent.

>Is this a hit or a myth?
>
>Alan Barnard
>Salem, MO