Setting Dip on the Bench

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 08:07:55 MDT 2007

David
    I'll get to the bench reg part but first  This thread brings up the
question where & one measures dip & with  what does one use to do this. A dip
block, a ruler? As long as I've done this  work I've used a simple distance gauge
that fits under the key. It's .375 in  diameter.  It's a small piece of steel
with a thin handle brazed to it.  PIcs below . The cut out in the face of it
fits right up into & against the  pin.

 My Dad made it 40 years ago.
  It's easy to use,visual & quick. Just Insert the jig  & if the dip is
shallow, the key rises, indicating the need to remove  punchings....again
visual...quick.  If dip is deep...tap tap. The  need to add punchings.  I don't sit at
eye level to do this even at the  piano.
  Also the sharps...always a sticky wicket.  Again  insert it under the white
keys & see what's happening then correct it. The  width of the gauge allows
easy access between the white key pins to access the  key pins to the sharps
  Being a dip priority regulator I've always like to stay  a bout a .390 dip.
 SO I place gauge  under the key &  tap the top of the key with my finger
then  listen & feel for a slight  .015 gap.  Or a single wrap of masking tape
around the circumference of the  gauge makes it zzzzactly.390. In that case the
gauge should just slide in with  no key rise or no tapping sound.
   For the bench part Eds suggestion of duplicating  the keybed environment
is good & possible to get close. My non -rookie shop  helper Keith Roberts came
up with a slick way to get very close on the bench.  (been the re to long to
be a rookie any more..darn)
  HE/we uses the gauge to set dip on all the C notes  sitting at the piano.
We then place the action on the reg bench &  remove the stack. The keys fall
down & rest on the punchings  Then we  the use a straight edge set between our
test notes. Using our test notes we  remove or add punchings till he/we  a
fairly straight line between  test notes.  It's quick easy & any shop rookie can
get very close. Then  reinstall the action stack & keys in the piano & tweak
further until  it's dialed.   At this point I use the after touch feel I like.
 Meaning it's just a tactile sense from years of doing this.  Or place a
card of .040 or .050 on top of the front punching & then depress the key. If  the
dip/aftertouoch is right the jack should just begin to  escape.
  Make sense?.....yes..no?
  Dale

Does  anyone have a reliable method of setting key dip (grand) on the bench
so  that it remains accurate when the action is moved back to the piano?   I'd
sure love to retire from sitting down at eye level to the key  bed.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations