Setting Dip on the Bench

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Thu Jul 12 07:47:59 MDT 2007

David writes:
> >>Currently I
> use a method similar to the one described by Ed Foote, but which, to
> clarify, involves transferring and retaining settings made originally
> in the piano itself, not created originally on the bench.<<

    Hmm,   I may have been foggy on that point.   I set the key level in the
piano, and then set the dip on the end keys of each section,(after regulating
blow and let-off)   in the piano.   Then it is easy to recreate the same
aftertouch when I get the piano on the bench.   I do most jobs dip at the piano,
and found that using a "bleacher seat" with a back to it to be invaluable for
comfort.   Working while sitting on the floor also lets me throw punchings
around so that I don't have to constantly reach into the box, but rather, just pick
up what I need from around me.

> >>Ed mentions crescendo punchings by which, I am assuming,. he means
> front punchings.  I agree that they make it  much easier to interpret
> and set precise dip, though I am still not sure I like the reduced
> cushion.<<

 I have changed my philosophy because of these things.   On the concert
pianos, I toss the front punchings after a couple of years.   It is only $ 20 worth
of parts and is of little consequence when there is a $ 1000
regulation/repinning/hammer filing job depending on me.
regards.