Here comes the pitch

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jul 9 21:42:10 MDT 2007

> I have a tuner in my area who does the same exact thing.  I have been
> observing this for over 23years now. This tuner does not tell the
> customer that the piano will not be at proper pitch and they then
> believe that the job was done correctly.  The problem is that the
> customers will tell me that the piano was just tuned a few months ago
> and I look bad when I try to explain that it needs a pitch raise and
> tuning which costs more.

Yes, there it is. Even pre-screening on the initial call
doesn't head this off when it was tuned just last year, or
could you do the neighbor's while you're here. You look like a
crook when the real problem has walked away to set you up for
any number of future repeats.

>I sometimes tuned a piano at a lower pitch for
> a variety of reasons, but the customer always gets a full explaination
> and is given a choice after explaining the risks, if any.  I never raise
> the pitch on a piano that is showing obvious sign of self-destruction.
> I have raised the pitch successfully on literally dozens of my
> competetor's former customer's pianos over the years and have never
> found one that I couldn't raise without a problem.

Yes, yes, and yes. Wouldn't (or shouldn't) this be in the "We
hold these truths to be self evident" category? I'd consider
this to be minimal acceptable standard.

>Unfortunately, he's a Guild member. Oh, well.  I'm glad that the RPT examinations are more
> challenging now than they used to be.

Yes, he often is. And yes, they are - which ultimately means
essentially nothing in the world we do business in to survive.

Ron N