Tuning sequence question

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Mon Jul 9 04:05:54 MDT 2007

Cy,

If you do the same as you said with 5 notes with Tunelab after a 20 or 25
cent raise you will be within 2 cents generally less, if you bang less. try
for 40 minutes and be solid. That is assuming that you have set the right %
overpull for the given piano.

Personally I love and use Tunelab and have done so for many years, but,
having tuned pianos now for about fourty years I have learnt that 'yes' you
can tune a piano in 20 minutes if the piano has been tuned by you and if the
piano tuning is a touch up but as a full tune ?
I have seen only one person tune a piano properly in 20 minutes and that was
a touchup for a concert performance on a tuned piano.

Tuning is about being solid, so that the piano can be played heavy or light
without going out of tune.

Spectrum display ? You have to use your ears in the bass and mid treble for
all unisons and the upper treble is subject to the clarity of the note
however I agree that the Spectrum display makes it easier (even if using it
takes longer).

I have tried most of the tuners on the market and am happiest using Tunelab
now that I fully understand what it can acheave.

Cy, I appologise for answering you answer this way, maybe I should just put
the message out with out a reply to anyone but tune a piano properly from 15
cent down in 20 minutes ?.

Tony Caught
Australia
0427 850 737