Birdcage pitch raise

alan forsyth alan at forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 8 13:30:02 MDT 2007

" stock was shipped out according   to Herrburger Brooks up to 1950s"

Yes, you can usually tell by the casework design and I've come across plenty overdamper pianos made in the late 40's and early 50's.

However, when an overdamper action is working properly I still prefer playing that piano to an underdamper version; the action of the sustain pedal is so much more precise because of the absence of all those squishy springs. One such piano might be this Bluthner which has a very old breast action.

And here is the mother of all overdamper pianos: a tri-overstrung Neumeyer. Of course it would be very tricky designing it with underdampers.

>From a sunny east coast (and about time too)

AF

PS You don't dare pitch raise these beasts; the strings just go bang!