Birdcage pitch raise

Barrie Heaton piano at a440.co.uk
Sat Jul 7 07:48:53 MDT 2007

In message <00d701c7c001$29a9c280$6400a8c0 at owner94c158a67>, John Ross
<jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca> writes
>Not having thought on it before, I had always assumed, 'birdcage', were pre
>1900.
>What is, the latest date of manufacture?

1910 was the last date for production of the spring and loop action this
was the cheep version of the overdamper tape check action (hated by UK
tuners most were put in pretty boxes with strings then thankfully
shipped to the US as antiques  in the 50s and 60s). Herrburger was still
making  overdamper tape check action up to 1939 its unclear if
production continued much after 1945. However, after the war some old
stock was shipped out according   to Herrburger Brooks up to 1950s

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/
AcryliKey Ivory Repair System UK ©              http://www.acrylikey.co.uk/