Schiedmeier Pianos and under bridge structure

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jul 7 09:17:19 MDT 2007

> If added mass were the function of
> the under-bridge, they would not need to go to the trouble to make it
> like this.

While stiffness was logically the apparent intent, it also
effectively doubled the mass of the bridge, which would
certainly affect sustain - likely more so than the added
stiffness.

> As I said, the Grotrian bridge is also
> unusually wide.  My feeling about Grotrians of this period has always
> been that they are _too_ stiff.
>
> JD

Or possibly just too heavy. Easy enough to find out if you
have one getting a new soundboard and bridges anyway, or on
the way to the dump. Cut through the under-bridge at the ribs
and observe the tonal difference.

Ron N