Schiedmeier Pianos and under bridge structure

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Fri Jul 6 20:16:57 MDT 2007

It would add both mass and stiffness to the bridge and, hence, to the soundboard
assembly as a whole. At least along the tenor/treble bridge. I can see where
sustain would be good. Probably at the cost of some power but you may not notice
this much since you'd have to cut it in half to be able to hear the difference.

I've done something similar, though not nearly as extensive, on a non-descript
grand I rebuilt some years back which had a bridge that was between 20 and 25 mm
tall. I sistered it below the soundboard (and between the ribs) with strips of
maple that were about 10 (treble) to 15 mm (low tenor) tall and just as wide as
the top bridge (about 32 mm, if memory serves). The end result was pretty good
but I didn't have any before sound to compare with as the piano was unplayable
when it came to me.

The only other similar arrangement I recall was on a Sohmer grand using bridge
agraffes. The agraffes were similar to standard plate agraffes but with very
long studs with threads similar to those found on wood screws of the time. The
studs went all the way through the top bridge, the soundboard and ended up in
the lower bridge. This piano also had exceptional sustain.

Del