Schiedmeier Pianos and under bridge structure

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Jul 5 21:29:44 MDT 2007

Tuned a Schiedmeier piano today (7'grand) and decided, as is my tendency, to
crawl under and examine the belly.  There was a duplicate bridge structure,
about the same height, that ran the entire length of the long bridge (sorry
no picture), attached to the soundboard directly underneath the topside
bridge.  There were cutouts along the length to allow the ribs to pass
through untouched.  It is obviously, for mass loading, at least.  The piano
has fabulous sustain and clarity and I'd be curious to know if any other
pianos or piano designers employ such a structure or see the benefit of
doing so.  The structure, btw, did not exist underneath the bass bridge.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com