Birdcage pitch raise

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jul 5 20:39:39 MDT 2007

The only thing you can do is inform the piano owner of the piano's potential
in its present condition and how it will (or won't) fulfill a budding
pianists needs. Sounds like you did that. After that, you do the work,
notifying the owner of no guarantees on bandaid tasks, and collect the
check. If you cashed the check before it plummeted 70 cents flat, I'd say
you did good!

I don't understand your point about English cheapo piano pinblock "design".
Is it the fact that the upper speaking length termination is a bridge pin
set in a wooden termination bar? If so, I would say that it is not a cheapo
design. It is how many did that termination for many, many decades. I
suppose it became a less-favored design as string scale tensions increased,
but it is not an inherently "bad" design. Certainly on a modern piano the
design would often see structural failure. But on Beethoven's pianos, it
likely would have held up pretty well.

Yes?

Terry Farrell