Square Piano Hammer Tails

pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 3 09:42:10 MDT 2007

Good Morning: I am hanging a new set of Ronsen hammers on a square piano, and am puzzled as to how to correctly shape the tails and set the checking. The bass and tenor sections have straight tails, although the treble section has the modern arc on the tails. I retained some of the original hammers as samples, but still am trying to understand how a basically rectangular tail is shaped and adjusted for proper checking.
Any help would be appreciated.
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
Piano Technicians Guild