grand checking adjustment

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 18:27:43 MDT 2007

On 8/28/07, brittanykirk272 at comcast.net <brittanykirk272 at comcast.net> wrote:

>  I have been taught two different ways to adjust grand checking, and I
> would like y'all's opinion on which you think is more accurate.
>
> 1.  Strike the key, see where the hammer checks, and adjust accordingly.
> 2.  While holding the key down, lift the hammer, and let it fall into a
> checked position.
>
> If I make everything even with method 1, then re-assess with method 2,
> checking is uneven... and vice versa.  Advice, please.
>
> Brittney

I have always used  a modified 1st method, I press the key firmly enough for
the hammer to lift but not so hard that it goes beyond the intended
radius, since it is closer to "actual playing" as you can get. The natural
weight of the hammer gives you your hammer check. Short of using a letoff
rack for this adjustment, which I suppose could be done, the first method,
assuming the adjustments are done carefully should give you a uniform
adjustment.
What tool are you using to adjust with? I have found the Original Factory
Type Wire Bending Pliers(Schaff's new catalog Pg. 67) to be invaluable for
accurately adjusting grand backchecks! They allow small adjustments and
nuances not possible with lesser tools.
If you still don't get a uniform check, perhaps you should check the action
centers for sluggishness or looseness, uniformity in the shank/flange center
is key for this adjustment. This is assuming all keys and whippens are
moving freely, keys are leveled and dip is uniform.

--
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
email mike at ifixpianos.com