"Vapors" From CA Treated Pinblock?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Aug 21 03:35:14 MDT 2007

At 01:58 8/21/2007, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I had a strange experience with the use of ca glue.
>
>I wanted to glue a piece of felt on a wooden
>stick  (this is the tool I use for cleaning the key pins with prolube)
>As I was in a hurry I wanted the glue to set
>fastly so I used the trick some technicians use
>for glueing loose Ivories (woodglue on one side and ca  glue on the other side.
>
>Put some white glue to the stick and some ca glue to the piece of felt.
>What happend is that it almost set fire !  There
>was some smoke and the felt was black !
>
>Some kind of chemical reaction ca / felt / white glue ?
>
>Any way, I wont try this again !
>
>Pierre

Pierre,

It is good to know that water accelerates the CA,
sometimes.   This summer, I returned to my truck
to see the rear view mirror hanging from the
light cord.    It was >120°F inside the truck
and >100°F  in the shade - and no shade.   (I was
in a parking lot at the Grand Canyon at the time).

I had my basic tools with me, including a little
tube of CA.  I put some on the bracket and tried
to put the mirror back up.  It just slid around. No tack.

I think the relative humidity must have been
around -10%.   Remembering some previous treads
re:CA, I wondered if the extreme low humidity
might not be my problem.  So, I licked my thumb
and transferred a small amount of moisture to the
mounting pad.   This time the mirror immediately
stayed where I put it - and it's still there.

The lesson might be that a little moisture might
be a good thing, but more is not necessarily better.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.