New bass strings, some dead

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 3 22:37:58 MDT 2007

Thank you to everyone who chimed in to answer this one.  I've been away
from the computer today, and just got home to find all your contributions.

As it happens, these are Arledge strings.  And James does not "suggest"
that the strings should not be twisted at installation, he "directs"
that they should not.  From his website:  "*Important!* Arledge bass
strings DO NOT need to be twisted when installed. Doing so could cause
undesirable effects."

Several of you advised me to contact the string maker, which I certainly
intend to do.  I only wanted to ask if there was anything you thought I
should check before doing so.  As twisting is the only topic which came
up, I guess it's time to call Mr. Arledge.

cheers

Mike

PS  What I recall from his class years ago, and a tour during the
Nashville convention, is that he rotates the two ends of the core wire
with independent computer controlled servo motors, so as to carefully
control the twist in the core throughout the wind.  He is able to create
a counter-twist in the core, uniform over the length of the string,
which actually tends to tighten the windings when the core is released
from the lathe chucks.