String Installation Question

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Aug 3 08:49:04 MDT 2007

Farrell wrote:
> Holy Hanna! Thanks Conrad. That's what I do - I simply charge a flat fee
> for replacing a plain-wire string, whether it is C88 or a low tenor
> string. Do folks make a separate charge if you put a center rail
> punching on the top of a sustain trapwork dowel when it is rattling? If
> you were to actually calculate the cost plus your markup of plain wire
> string, I think you'd need a very good programmable calculator! And
> would you charge for the amount of string that you clip off at the
> tuning pin after measuring the wire length for your coils? I'd have
> smoke coming out of my ears if I tried to calculate all that!
>
> IMHO, charge a flat fee by using your hourly rate for however long it
> typically takes you to replace a treble string, plus $5 (or whatever
> works for you) for being a well-supplied (having wire with you) and
> well-tooled (having the proper string replacement tools) piano
> technician. Newton's suggestion is pretty darn close to my flat fee.
>
> I guess I should say that is for most pianos. Two exceptions that I can
> think of. If it is a spinet and access to hitch pin and bridge pins is
> difficult - then I charge more - however long it takes me times my
> hourly rate plus $5. And in cases where there are a bunch of strings to
> replace - like recently I did a bar-room grand that had six broken plain
> wire strings - I quoted my flat fee times six as a maximum price and
> that it may cost less if the task goes quickly. I think I charged him
> $10 less than my flat fee times six.
>
> Terry Farrell

I failed to include the footnotes for those charges;

Newton notes that an additional charge would be made for removal of
direct blow and drop actions, so you're in good company.

Also, the minimum charge for any service taking under .75hr should be
your service call. Start the clock at your service rate after that.

>> Newton Hunt's guide lists 1/2 hour for treble string replacement.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.