Counter-bearing drag

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Aug 3 07:20:32 MDT 2007

There is a S&S locally right on the water, well not really, water
view/water front.

There is noticeable and detrimental drag to a section in the high tenor.
I can move the lever almost '5 minutes' (clock index) before the tension drops,
conversely on raising. Needless to say, these notes are not stable.

Short of replacing the wire in that section (complete restringing is
not in the cards
for this family) could a thin brass strip be placed between the
strings and counter-
bearing to facilitate the rendering of the strings. If not only a
small curved segment
at the top edge of the felt.

I plan to replace the strings on my next visit to their area
but thought this might be an expedient option.

When restringing, I don't replace the counter-bearing as originally designed
with friction for the entire surface. I limit it to the top edge. My
next one wil
have simply a half-round or half-oval with non-bearing felt between
that and the agraffe.
--

Regards,

Jon Page