EAB Question

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Aug 1 06:35:29 MDT 2007

If you see a Young Chang product with the serial number starting with a
zero, check to see if hammers are starting to block - or whether let-off has
been drastically lowered to compensate.

I just tuned a YC the other day with serial number starting in zero. Sure
enough, bass and high treble hammers were blocking on a light blow. A look
inside the action cavity revealed that I could almost fit my entire baby
finger between the pinblock and the hammer rail in the center of the action,
but the drop screws at the two ends of the hammer rail were almost touching
the pinblock. Of course, that is not a problem on this piano because it is
in a downtown Missionary Baptist Church - and as the flat-topped hammers
suggest, I don't think this piano ever has experienced a light blow to a
key.....

Weird stuff.

Terry Farrell