Urgent need of help with three technical terms

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Nov 29 09:41:28 MST 2006

Hi Andreas

You might also check with Norges Pianostemmer og Teknikerforeningen.
There are several members who have very good working knowledge of all
english / norwegian nomenclatures.

As far as your questions here are concerned. Downbearing pressure is
exactly that. And that is a very common (if not the common) terminology
to use. Hammer Fall angle is a strange concept in the Norwegian, and is
not used too many places. In English one usually operates with the two
terms "hammer bore" and "hammer rake". Together these two determine the
distance value you are refering too. Actually, the concept of what you
refer too is a subject matter often talked about tho I dont think we
actually have a specific term dedicated to it. We usually think in terms
of what angle the hammer shank has to the string plane. The recent
thread on overstriking was indeed along those lines as someone else
already refered too.

Thirdly, the pinblock has a <<face>> and this can be said to have
several <<sections>> if you need to refer to individual areas. Again,
there is no one specific set of terms here. Tho you could use the terms
<<bass>> <<tenor>> <<treble>> and <<high treble>>.

If you email me privately I can no doubt put you in touch with a member
of the NPTF in your area that can help you more. Knowing the origional
Norwegian terms your are trying to translate to begin with would be a
big help in each such instance.

Cheers
Richard Brekne
Bergen

    Fellow colleagues,

    I am new to the list and I’m in urgent need of help. Currently I’m
    working
    on translating a pt textbook from Norwegian into English. There are
    a few
    technical terms that I don’t know in English. I hope someone will be
    able to
    help me.

    The first term is the down-bearing pressure that the strings exert
    on the
    bridge. Is there a common name for it in English?

    The second term is only applicable in uprights. When the hammer
    touches the
    strings, there’s a small difference between the distance from the
    strings to
    the shank, just beneath the hammerhead, and the distance from the
    strings to
    the shank down at the butt. Directly translated from Norwegian to
    English it
    would be called Hammer Fall Angle. Ironically, although it’s called
    an angle
    it’s expressed in mm instead of degrees since it’s the difference
    between
    two distances. What is the English name?

    The third term is the name of the surfaces, areas, fields or
    sections on the
    pinblock where there are tuning pins. All the tuning pins will
    typically be
    grouped into 4, 5 or 6 fields. What is the name for this?

    Any help will be deeply appreciated! Many thanks in advance, Andreas
    Risberg