Finishing Bench Top

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Nov 28 22:36:57 MST 2006

Hi Joe,

Agreed, those surfaces are very hard and slick.  I've one in use.  I have a
removable back rail that I clamp into place for action work to prevent the
slipping, etc.  I also have a benchtop with Baltic birch plywood that works
well.  Next up is a hardwood bench, and with that, I'd use a wipe-on poly.

The main idea behind something like the masonite is that it is sacrificial.
If you need to do something that might be detrimental to a nice maple
workbench, throw a fitted piece of masonite on top and whack away.  If it
gets too ugly, toss it and fit another, but save that maple.

Best,
William R. Monroe

BTW, I prefer Danish Oil for my tool handles.  ;-]