Migration from Palm device to Pocket PC

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Wed Nov 22 23:59:28 MST 2006

Terry, Jerry,

I've been a pocket PC user for some time, and I used to find it frustrating that I couldn't define contact fields.  I decided to work around it.

My alternative method is to use already available fields that would otherwise remain unused to satisfy my business needs:

I use the "Job Title" field in place of a "date of last service" field that would be my preference
"Company" gets used instead of "piano make, model and serial number"
"Department" could replace "next service due on."
Information pertaining to what the piano needs goes my the notes along with what's been done

It may be less than ideal, but it works well enough so that I've stopped fretting about creating my own fields. When I bring up the contact, all the necessary information is right there.  And the information transfers seamlessly from desktop to pocket pc.

I hope this helps out a bit.

On another note for Pocket PC users, if you've ever considered GPS for navigational purposes, you should consider the far cheaper option of "Mapopolis Platinum."  It's a great map program that was $30.00 when I bought it.  It includes:

As many maps as you want to download.  Memory cards help tremendously, because they do use a fair amount of storage space.

Point to point navigation that can guide you from one Outlook contact to another just by tapping on the names.

Step by step directions, with voice if you want it.

Estimated trip time and mileage.

Many levels of zooming in and out.

Directions to businesses and institutions should you need them.

http://mapopolis.com/

It's certainly worth a look if you're still using paper maps.

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net