Fixing harpsichord stand

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Sat Nov 11 09:55:31 MST 2006

Hi Barbara,

You could use gorilla glue, or tightbond wood glue, or hide glue.  I think the most important thing for you to do is to make sure that you have well prepared joints prior to gluing.  In other words, make sure the mortises and tenons are free from the old glue residue as much as possible, and that the wood is good and clean prior to gluing.  You also want the joints reasonably sized prior to glueing.  Often times in the cleanup of an old joint, you end up making the fitting loose, and that will compromise the joint.  If you have a very loose joint, you may want to use epoxy, for it's gap filling capabilities, to assemble the stand.

If the joints are not prepped well, you will have a premature failure.  If it IS prepped well, good glue joints need not be reinforced with hardware, IMO.

Best,
William R. Monroe

  Barbara,

  How about using gorilla glue that many have been discussing on the list the last couple of days. Apparently once it's glued it will never come apart again.

  Terry Beckingham RPT

    I have taken apart this harpsichord stand, which was hardly glued together in the first place and am preparing to glue it up again.  Here's my question, is there are way anyone would suggest to secure it other than just gluing it.  No, I'm not talking about clamping while waiting for the glue to dry, but shooting a screw through at an angle or some other (more?) desirable woodworking procedure to make it stronger/sturdier.

    Thanks!

    Barbara Richmond, RPT
    near Peoria, Illinois