Spinet Hammer Butt Springs

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 10 19:29:59 MST 2006

Arlin asked/said: "I have a Whitney drop action spinet coming up that needs
many hammer butt
springs replaced. Most are every weak, and it would probably be good for
them all to be replaced. I understand that its a real pain to remove drop
actions and do anything with them. Any words of wisdom??"

Arlin,
If all you are doing is replacing the Hammer Butt springs, I'd suggest
taking the spring rail out with the action still installed in the piano.
You should be able to get at the screws that hold in the rail, either with
a long screw driver, (thin blade with a round tip), or with a ratchet
off-set screwdriver. Or, possibly both will be needed.<G>
Regards,
Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I