faux RPT?

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sat Nov 4 07:35:28 MST 2006

Tom,

While not exactly the same situation, I've come across pianos tuned by "members of the Technician's Guild," who I later found out weren't members of the PTG or any other guild.  It was even written on their business cards.  I was a bit po'd about it, but the general consensus was to let it go.

Pretending to be an RPT is a whole different matter.  Removing him or her from the PTG would be an appropriate punishment, IMHO.

Damage to a reputation from blatant lying about one's qualifications could be significant.  Negative word of mouth travels far.

If you were a customer, would you want a known liar working on your piano?  In our business, trust is a big deal.  Most customers don't know or can't tell if you've done the work you've billed them for.  They have to take your word for it that it's been done.

I wouldn't want someone who's capable of making false claims working on anything I own that's of value.

Regards,

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560