Warranty Work Question

Paul McCloud service at pianosd.com
Thu Nov 2 12:32:45 MST 2006

Hi, Mark:
    I wouldn't worry about losing the client.  They will  appreciate your
attempt to service their piano.
    The first thing is to understand who you are  working for.  If you are
being paid by the dealer or manufacturer to address the problem, you will be
working on their behalf.  Don't take  the side of the  customer against the
dealer or manufacturer unless you plan never to work for the them again.
Just identify the problem, make a recommendation, and see what is going to
happen.
   You should make sure the dealer knows that you will be charging them for
the service call if the manufacturer refuses the repair.  The customer
should not pay  for this.  Then you are covered for your time.  If you say
that the repair is a defect in  manufacturing, you can bill  the
manufacturer for the repair when you're done..  If  you say it's an improper
repair by someone else, the  manufacturer  will  refuse.  In that case call
the dealer and tell them what you have found.  Don't do anything without
authorization.  Otherwise  you WILL eat it.  If the dealer refuses to pay
for the repair, let the customer know.  Let the customer deal with the
problem in that case.  Don't get in between the customer and dealer.
   I assume the piano was sold as new.  If this is  a  used piano, all bets
are off.  In that  case, it depends upon the agreement with the dealer and
the  customer.

    Can you give more details about the problem?  It would help to know
more.
    Best,
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego