Whether the weather?

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:59:31 -0500

On Jan 31, 2006, at 6:37 AM, Conrad Hoffsommer wrote:

> The mantra that I recall hearing many years ago was that, here in
> the US, central heating (somehow claimed to be more of a dessicant
> than other ways of keeping warm) is more common.

Well, it happens to be true! My experience goes back to a couple
visits to Taiwan in the 70s; during 1978 I was the piano technician
for the College of Chinese Culture outside Taipei. Winters were damp
and chilly, and warm, dry rooms were far from commonplace. One would
make a practice of visiting slightly warmer locations (cafeteria
perhaps, or the main office for the music department). Heating was
usually from propane or electric space heaters. Holding a cup of tea
was a way to warm up your hands! No heat in the tiny practice rooms
-- hey the kids were burning enough calories practicing for hours why
would they complain about being cold!? We worn cotton padded jackets
all the time not because they looked cool but because they kept us warm!
So -- there was no point in seasoning the wood more aggressively than
they did at the time. Yes, the 70s was a long time ago, but many of
the grey market pianos are from that era, and here in centrally
heated New England their soundboards and pinblocks fail over their
first winter here. And much of China is still way more "undeveloped"
than Taiwan was in the 70s.

Patrick Draine
aka Di Bode
Happy New Year -- Year of the Dog!