New Steinway style Abel wippens no Available

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:01:19 EST

Hi List
    I've used the Abel shanks & flanges for  quite a few years for Steinway ,
Mason & Hamlin & Others with excellent  results. I have found the quality
,geometry & the maple made parts to be  very consistent.  excellent  pinning,
traveling.  The overall  wood machining is very crisp & the knuckles are really
nice. Firm &  round.
  Customer service is always  responsive.   Whenever I've been the first one
to make a  suggestion to the Brooks limited folks or notice an anomaly, I
don't get the "we  never heard of that before". Or "nobody's else has complained
of this  yet". But, when I am first to notice something the  response is always
a genuine concern to fix the problem & they got  fixed! That's personal
service.
   I find the Abel parts to be as good as any  parts out there. I enjoy the
complete shank sets being a bit thinned  to  more closely resemble the weight &
strength charachteristics of the  original Maple shanks offered bySteinway &
Mason &( Others as well).  This also makes burn in way easier & adds less
shank weight to the strike  weight. The flanges fit the rails well & initial
amounts of traveling is  normal.
  I recently installed  set of the new Abel Steinway  wippens.  I experienced
very little traveling & beautiful smooth  repitition lever tops which means
minimum amounts of friction with the  knuckle.  The all maple parts are closer
to the original weight of the OEM  Steinway parts.
  The pinning is excellent. Overall it's a beautiful  part. For me One very
happy advantage is that it has an original type  butterfly repetition spring
which is easy to adjust as were the old style  wippens. Also these wippens  held
side by side with the originals are  right on the money.  The jack angle/
profile & jack height is the same  as oem as  is the repitition tower & center
pin placement. The  over all height of the wippen is just slightly taller.
   Now if they start coming with interchangeable  heels then everyone will
love this.  If you haven't tried these, I  highly recommend them especially in
light of the troubles the OEM parts have  had . It's always good to have more
parts suppliers & selection  available to the trade. Competition is good for
the industry
  Hey, Just remember how it was 15 years ago.   we had lousy parts & not much
selection. Today we have several suppliers  which offer excellent parts. We
have it good , don't you think? Any body else  use these yet..... & why not?
   Cheers
  Dale Erwin