Yamaha GB-1 What?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:55:43 EST

Hi Paul
  I haven't' seen or heard this piano but I can  guess at its' limited
potential but never the less, enjoyed the  logical  way you considered all things
pertinent to your clients needs ,  acted accordingly & presented him with a much
improved version of a  basically low line Yamaha.
    Your end results was a happy client who is  now creating a more musical
outcome than he would if just a hit & run tuning  had been done & more folks
were able to particiapate in the actual  production & enjoyment  of real music.
  That's what this list aspires to promote
   Good stuff
   Dale Erwin

I feel  moved to speak up for the Yamaha GA-1. Been tuning one for a
young (32)  pianist - no room, etc. but it's what he has at this time,
for about 5  years now. I've seen it for a couple years; only eased the
keys and did  gross accupuncture on the hammers, oh yeah, there was some
reshaping  and
string voicing, but pretty much rough-and-ready approach, to save time
and money.

So, he is very pleased I've made it into some kind of  musical
instrument.  In fact, he invited a few friends over for an  afternoon
concert (the friends turned out to be some other pianists, a  recording
studio owner and an opera singer). What can I say? This artist  found
tone and touch to serve his requirements in performing for his
colleagues. The recording studio guy said my tuning was perfect and
very stable, and very musical. Much was said regarding the beauty and
content that was revealed.

Stability? Of course it has standard  tuning problems for that size and
design, could no doubt be improved by  changing a few strings near the
break, etc. but as I tuned it I found the  tuning of a month earlier was
still playable and out of tune only as much  as the weather should have
accounted for. What more can you ask of such an  instrument?

In short, nobody involved takes it for other than what it  is; but it is
still worthy of serious music making by and for serious  musicians who
love music.

the Bass? Of course it's compromised, a  lot! But the bass did have
harmonic content that did integrate with the  treble so that additional
harmonic voices spoke. OF COURSE it doesn't  sound like a C7, but
honestly, a Steinway L's bass adds some 'singing'  that's really
necessary compromise, compared to a D. There can be a bit of  changing
gears about what one recognizes in what one hears; and it's not
altogether different with the
ever so modest GA-1.

Of course a  great tuning helps, invites ever so much more singing, but
that's not the  topic of the moment.

And of course the pianist will be thrilled to have  a larger, better
instrument, but it's not so deadly obvious this GA-1 has  to be
discarded as worthless
because it's just not  musical.

-Paul Bailey (who probably would have advised looking at a  very small
Kawai if I'd been consulted)