Restoration ethics (was : ... WAY out of line.)

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:29:07 +0100

Mark,

I can feel Ric's outrage, and I am sure anybody would feel the same in such
circumstances.
I'm not sure of the meaning of your post, whether you think Ric should not
be outraged, or he shouldn't post this on a public list.

I can feel Jurgen's motivations too, while I would not totally agree with
the way he acted.  Preserving intact important witnesses of the past can
become a very serious matter for those concerned with it.  In this case, the
thing to preserve (and in my eyes, the thing that the restorer should aim
for) is the very thinking of an important piano maker at a certain time
(here 1853) about how to make a good instrument.  Hereby, preserving traces
of the taste of that period, that of the composers and performers of that
period, the personal evolution of the builder in according (or not) to those
tastes and his own maitrise of the technical elements to achieve his goal,
and so on.  One underlaying thought in this matter, and difficult to
understand for those who are not concerned by history, is that the concept
of evolution is irrelevant in aesthetic matters.  Is a larger damper better
than a small damper ? No.  It just damps better.  Is better damping a good
feature for a piano ?  If you think so, then yes, it is an improvement.  If
I prefer the intense emotion of the after ring sonic world poetry, then no,
it is a kind of regretable decadence.  Same for every feature, knowing that
what someone considers a limitation (even if it is the builder himself
considering this), someone else considers that an exciting characteristic of
style.  And about improving a desing, I must always think of those who would
replace all the stained glass in a gothic cathedral by double glazing, in
order to obviously improve the (scientifically proven by real serious guys)
efficiency of warming system.  They miss something that is very precious.
Precious enough for Jurgen to try and avoid this.

Now the fun is that for me, so far as I can understand it, Ric is one of the
persons who talk on this list the most aware of this need for respect of the
past (except me, of course, and Jurgen, most probably).  All comments
suggesting that Ric could spoil the precious instrument sound absolutely
false to my ears.  It is a question of how far we can go before we cross the
borderline between respectfully revive the original and totally missing the
point. Every period instrument restorer has nightmares about that, and
subsequent opinions, curiously enough never matching those of his collegues.

So I think this issue, again, is due to lack of communication.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.