M and H 50 inch upright puzzler solved 1 1/2 years later..../Bob got it!

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 01:01:19 EST

Bob,

Good call.  The sostenuto operates by metal stickers protruding from  the
bottom of the damper levers sticking into the sostenuto rail(comprised of a  felt
strip which is attached to and stretches across the back of the action  below
the dampers) when the sost. pedal is depressed.

It felt as if something was blocking the movement of the action, and it  was.
 The stickers (looking just like nails coming out of the bottom of the
damper levers) were pushing against the felt when notes were played  individually,
and when the sustain pedal was depressed.

Once I got the felt out of the way, the piano played like new.  With  the
action in the piano, it was impossible to see anything amiss.  When I  tilted the
action forward to check for blockage, that  action immediately freed up, as
the sostenuto rail was out of the way  of the maladjusted lift rod.

In the blink of an eye, a piano that was thorn in my side became  a rose!

Thanks to all for the input, and past suggestions on this,

Dave Stahl

In a message dated 1/24/2006 9:34:18 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,