broken Steinway lyre braces

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:36:51 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2006 5:22:09 AM Pacific Standard Time,
john@formsmapiano.com writes:
Anyone know if the finished have anything besides some lacquer on them? Let's
say I got unfinished from Steinway or someone else, is finishing merely a
matter of spraying lacquer on the sticks?
The unfinished sticks will be truly "raw," that is, bare wood. They'll need
stain, a wash coat of sealer, filler, more sealer, sanding, then top coats,
sanding, and rubout. It's a fair amount of trouble if you are doing them by
themselves, almost none if you are refinishing the whole piano. However, you do get
control of the color, as an older mahogany piano will have darkened. Excuse
me, I mean developed a patina.

The black ones are maple or birch, I forget which, and are less trouble. Just
a number of coats of black, followed by sanding and rubout.

I've made several sets of the round "coke bottle" sticks on the lathe, and,
with the material and time it's as much as buying them.

Bob Davis