broken Steinway lyre braces

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 7:23:49 -0800

I'd imagine (haven't seen them) the finished lyre sticks would have a p=
iano finish...rubbed out...many coats...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "John Formsma"
To: "Pianotech List"
Subject: Re: broken Steinway lyre braces

Hi Isaac.

I wish something from the major suppliers was available too. Even if it=
 was "special order," at least we'd know it was available.

I checked with Steinway yesterday about the cost of the mahogany lyre s=
ticks...$84 for unfinished and $176 for finished.

Anyone know if the finished have anything besides some lacquer on them?=
 Let's say I got unfinished from Steinway or someone else, is finishing=
 merely a matter of spraying lacquer on the sticks?

FYI...I've decided that the best repair is to replace the sticks with w=
ood, whether it be turned or dowels. After looking at the inserts in th=
e sticks, it would create a weak point that would probably break fairly=
 quickly. The insert idea could be made to work (possibly), but you'd n=
eed threaded rod several inches into the wood to make it strong enough.=
 Not very practical.

Thanks,

John

Isaac Sadigursky wrote:
Hi,John!

The idea of adjustable lyre sticks was used by Mason & Hamlin/Aeolian
products in the 60-70 th production.. Still,didn't work as well as
wood.BTW,Mason & Hamlin nomenclature called wooden lyre sticks
:Monkeytails",they worked great,very solid.. Since we are still on the
subject of lyre braces:I wish our suppliers will make those available t=
o us
in Steinway,Baldwin and Mason & Hamlin styles in 3 colors and un-finish=
ed
Best wishes.. Hope to see a lot of familiar faces in Los Angeles at the=

California State Convention. It's going to be a great one!!!