Soundboard rib question

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:29:10 +0100

On 22-jan-2006, at 12:45, Ric Brekne wrote:

Although this is not really my cup of tea, I do have some thoughts =20
about this issue of restoring, renewing etc :

It reminds me actually of a series of articles I read in a car mag I =20
subscribe to.
The articles were about restoring a very old car called =20
"TOPOLINO"      http://www.quepo.com/queposite/fiat/fito500his/=20
fito5oohis.html

One of the editors of the magazine found this old car somewhere in =20
France, and it was in a terrible condition, technically speaking.
So it took months and months (and maybe almost a marriage), and =20
finally the repair on this very old little car was completed.
It looked very nice, and... one could drive it.
Care had been taken to use the old parts as much as possible, except =20
for the tires, but these days, that's no problem anymore, as todays' =20
tire factories can make any tire for you.
What struck me though, was the fact that afterwards, the guy who =20
repaired it was a bit disappointed with the result.
The car looked magnificent, but it was incredibly slow and hard to =20
drive (brakes etc).

This analogy we can use for any antique mechanical object having been =20=

restored for re-use.
As somebody will no doubt play the old Bl=C3=BCthner grand Richard is =20=

working on, I would wish for 'steering power, brake power and an 8 =20
liter engine with twin turbo's.  (; >))

I do have some experience with restoring oldies though although I did =20=

not do the actual woodwork myself, but had it done by befriended =20
colleagues and my former business partner who is an excellent sound =20
board guy.
So I know more or less what happens if one renews ribs on an old =20
board. I know what happens if one renews the ribs, and partially =20
renew the old board,
I know what happens if one copies the old board completely, and I =20
know what the possibilities could be when one tries to boost the copy =20=

of the original.

I am in this case in favor of Richard's original idea, of copying the =20=

original board while, nevertheless, try to enhance the final result =20
with the insight of modern day technology.
There may be many of us who are familiar with the awful sounding =20
treble of most old Hammer Klaviers.
There is no life in those high trebles, and they sound completely dead.
I know some pianists who really swear by these old rotten trebles...
Well... me too, but in a different way...

Capisce?

(;
EAR

friendly greetings