P22 scale

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:17:36 +1100

High Ron and all,

Just returned back from a week away staying at a lake edge down
south. Had to take the screen and laptop since I'm doing some CAD
work which has to be completed over the next week. Still 50/50
fishing and CAD is better than no break at all.

>Having spent the last two days tuning mostly Yamaha P22s at around
>25%RH, from 70%+ RH just a few months ago, I have a request. Has
>anyone out there ever taken complete scale data on a P22 that they
>would be willing to send me? I'm curious how tension and break%
>profiles correspond to the pitch change patterns I see in these
>pianos, and I haven't yet had occasion or opportunity to take the
>measurements.

Here's an attachment with the scale of a Yamaha U1H (121 cm upright).
I think this piano is a little shorter than the ones you've been
tuning, but the cross over problems are similarly dramatic (Please
refer to the column graphs to the right of the figures). The hammer
strike ratio figures are derived from measurements taken directly
from the piano also.

>Looking for data to compare to observed reaction, for educational purposes.

These pianos were one of the first instruments which brought the
problem of percentage of breaking strain deviation home to me, during
the 70's when I was working out scaling with a pocket calculator. Its
just a mess and the 131 pianos are no better.

Best,
Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY