Lightening touch by changing damper timing redux

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 06:36:45 -0800

I agree with Ed here.  While it will change the amount of weight at the
point at which the damper lever is engaged (not before and not with the
damper pedal employed) the question is whether it's desirable.  In addition
to the greater difficulty in legato playing, the pianist will sense a loss
of tonal control at the other end of tone production that we sometimes
forget about which is the timing of the shut off.  A too rapid shutoff when
the finger starts to lift makes the piano feel choked and will actually
change the pianists ability to relax the hand immediately after the stroke
which can have a negative impact on tone control by changing the fluid and
flexible feeling in the wrist.  In other words, it can force an unnatural
technique.  Wouldn't do it.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of A440A@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 3:19 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Lightening touch by changing damper timing redux

David writes:

<< I've read opinions about this where some techs say that changing  damper
timing "doesn't really lighten the touch, it only gives that  perception."
As a
piano player, the difference was quite noticeable in  terms of weight and
control.  As a tech, I noticed a five gram difference  when I measured it.
 The best two features of this operation?  1).  It  works   2).  It's easily

reversible. >>

Greetings,
     Yes, the later damper lift reduces the effort the pianist must apply to

the action, however, it is only effective when the pedal is not depressed.
     The worst feature of this operation is that it becomes virtually
impossible to play legato  on a piano like this and the overall sonority
goes down.
In dealing with pianists that have encountered such an action set-up,  I
have
had complaints that the piano sounds brittle and shallow.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT