Hammer Spring Replacement

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:02:12 -0800

Hi,Joe! Thanx for your reply!! I'm still learning.. On a few occasions I had
used PLAIN coat hanger,3 pieces for 3 sections of Hammer Spring Rail,it was
not in

 designer colors,just plain.You,definitely,know more about metals that most
of us,so,mentioning the welders rod helps.

Hammer rail springs are important..In many consoles-spinets in the 60-70 th
wrong strip of felt covering those springs was used and it caused oxidation
of metal and weakening-breacking of those spring.Mis-diagnostics could lead
to un-nessesary Hammer flange repining,because hammers would not return
back..I had learned this from John Light-Kimball Technician,who gave classes
along with late Roger Weisensteiner.This info was submitted to the Journal
and,I hope,will help beginners  not to repeat my mistakes.. Thanx,be well.I
hope,this e-mail is off the list. I'm NOT a Writer... With much respect..
Isaac

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Joseph Garrett
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 8:05 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Hammer Spring Replacement

Isaac said: "

Hi,Guys! Regarding welders rod-just use the old fasion COAT HANGER to keep

those spring coils straight [thanx to Kathy Voss for that valuable tip]

Good luck!! "

Isaac,

I usually agree with your techniques, but this one...No. A coat hanger is
not long enough and when you try to get all of the kinks out of it to make a
very straight rod, it's next to impossible, IMO. Besides, a lot of coat
hangers are painted and that will make the job more difficult. As far as
that goes, you could use rod that you get from a hobby shop. They have all
kinds of stuff like that. And, it would probably be easier to find a nearby
Hobby Shop than a Welding Supply place.<G> Sorry, old buddy, but I'll stick
with the welding rod thingee.<G>

Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)

Captain, Tool Police