AAA Yellow Pages trade listing-Geoff

Geoff Sykes thetuner@ivories52.com
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 13:34:37 -0800

I imagine there were other considerations besides building a business that
prompted you to relocate. Still, making that one of your requirements is
seriously thinking forward. Where did you move to, and is there room for one
more? (Just joking. [For now.])

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Susan Kline
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:21 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: AAA Yellow Pages trade listing-Geoff

>I did some market research by calling about a dozen of them getting
>price quotes in order to establish a reasonable fee for my services.
>Attitudes ranged from surly to desperate.

I did that too, when figuring out where I wanted to live. It was a real
eye-opener! Medford-Ashland was the craziest. The yellow pages there had a
tremendous long list of tuners, and one prominently advertised "Same Day
Service" !!

I shuddered, and drove north ...

Tremendous amounts of grief and effort could be avoided if people were
better at positioning themselves in places where there was a felt need,
instead of in a crowd of piano techs struggling for market share.

sssn

P.S. Scouting areas, I felt like a fake as I asked about getting a piano
tuned. People carefully explained pitch raising to me, etc. However, it was
in everybody's interest that I find an uncrowded place which still had piano
owners, so I went ahead, and pretended to be a prospective customer all up
and down a lot of California and Oregon's I-5 corridor.