AAA Yellow Pages trade listing-Geoff

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 13:20:34 -0800

>I did some market research by calling about a dozen of them getting price
>quotes in order to establish a reasonable fee for my services. Attitudes
>ranged from surly to desperate.

I did that too, when figuring out where I wanted to live. It was a real
eye-opener! Medford-Ashland was the craziest. The yellow pages there had
a tremendous long list of tuners, and one prominently advertised
"Same Day Service" !!

I shuddered, and drove north ...

Tremendous amounts of grief and effort could be avoided if people
were better at positioning themselves in places where there was a felt
need, instead of in a crowd of piano techs struggling for market share.

sssn

P.S. Scouting areas, I felt like a fake as I asked about getting a piano
tuned. People carefully explained pitch raising to me, etc. However, it
was in everybody's interest that I find an uncrowded place which
still had piano owners, so I went ahead, and pretended to be a prospective
customer all up and down a lot of California and Oregon's I-5 corridor.