(careful, it is about temperaments)

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:16:22 -0800

I think you have gone a bit far afield.  Nobody is arguing the "correctness"
of using WT or not.  The issue is whether or not the music must be heard in
WT to capture the intent of the composer.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Israel Stein
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:30 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: (careful, it is about temperaments)

Before we get too far afield into obsolete ideas...

It is interesting to note that notion of "authenticity" has lately
pretty much fallen into disgrace even in the Historically Informed
Performance (formerly known as Early Music) field. There is a tacit
acknowledgement that the idea of exact fidelity to the notions and
practices of the time in which the music was written is both
impossible and in many ways undesirable. After all, there is no way
we can hear the music as played by Beethoven and Mozart. On the other
hand, we do not wish to duplicate the very low technical and musical
standards of the time - poorly maintained instruments,  poorly
trained and under-rehearsed musicians, small, darkly lit
venues...  Today's musicians and audiences are, after all, steeped in
today's musical values and today's musical standards, and there is so
much any of them are willing to accept or learn to appreciate of past
practices - and that also applies to temperaments.

Any notion of "authenticity" as applied to performance of Classical
era music on the modern piano is patently ridiculous - anyone
familiar with pianos of that era can attest to the fact that they are
very, very different musical instruments, both lacking many of the
capabilities of the modern instruments (in terms of sonority and
dynamic range) and having some that the modern instrument lost (in
terms of color, register differences, clarity/transparency,
articulation and velocity). Just the tremendous increase in
inharmonicity from the older instrument to the newer one makes any
comparison between WT on the Beethoven era Streicher and WT on a
Steinway pretty much apples and oranges...

In terms of historicity, we have two conflicting considerations here.
The music was written in the era of the older temperaments, but the
rise of the modern, high-tension piano is pretty much contemporaneous
with the adoption of the Equal Temperament. So which is more
"historically correct" - fidelity to the composer's practices (who
used different instruments) or fidelity to today's instrument's
historical niche? Which is why the "authenticity" argument leads nowhere.

So where does that leave us? Basically, where the Historically
Informed Performance stream of music now hangs its hat. There is an
acceptance of the notion that no single way of performing music is
"correct" - music is a living, changing thing, and every performance
and performer brings something to it, no matter what degree of
historical "fidelity" they try to adhere to - including all the
baggage from the musical practices of the  intervening centuries.
Audiences are subject to the same baggage... Therefore:

The use of earlier temperaments on the modern piano is neither right
nor wrong - it simply is an additional tool in the arsenal of the
musician, an additional dimension of the music to be explored and
adopted to the extent that it can find an audience. The same way as
the use of early instruments (or replicas) and historical notions
about ornamentation, vocal technique, dynamics, vibrato and other
performance techniques have found an audience. (And the insights
gleaned from these historically based musical practices have come to
influence the "mainstream" music field - through the medium of such
musicians as Paul Badura-Skoda and Peter Serkin (on piano), Roger
Norrington and John Elliott Gardner (orchestrally) or the many fine
vocalists and instrumentalists who today perform in both fields...)

>One thing to consider in all this (and I've probably exhausted my thoughts)
>is what the major pianist/scholars are doing in this respect.  Pianists
like
>Brendl, Schnabel, Perahia, and most of not virtually all others who pour
>over original source material, biographies, writings, documents in order to
>glean that small little detail that adds to their commitment to a more
>authentic interpretation of the music as conceived by the composer.  Of all
>these people it seems (and I say this with the caveat that I have not
>actually done the research) that most if not all of them, when choosing to
>record/perform, opt for ET.

Any performing musician who does historical research will adopt those
practices that suit his or her preferences, and reject others. So I
am not impressed. Besides, it is impossible to tell whether or not
Brendel, Schnabel or Perahia ever were aware of the temperament issue
- in mainstream musical circles the notion that Well temperament and
Equal temperament are one and the same held sway well into the late
20th century, and many very fine musicians still don't know the
difference - temperament just isn't on their radar screen. Intonation
issues in general are of little interest to pianists - they don't
deal with intonation, we do it for them, so many never really develop
an ear for it...

>While there may be a few who, to their credit,
>are exploring these pieces in the temperaments of the times, they are a
>stark minority.  To suggest that the leading interpreters of classical
music
>of the last century take such pains for authenticity while rejecting the,
we
>assume, prevailing tuning style of the times forces you to the conclusion
>that they either consciously chose to reject it because it wasn't in their
>view relevant to the music and authentic interpretation, or that they
>are/were ignorant, biased or, as Bremmer suggests, did it for some strange
>business reason.  Considering the extent to which they research these
issues
>and their apparent commitment to the original intent of the composers leads
>me to the conclusion that the tuning style was rejected consciously and
that
>it was not relevant, in their view, to an authentic and musical
>interpretation.  Who am I to argue?  If there is real evidence to the
>contrary, I'm open to hearing it.

There is no way of knowing who heard or used what temperament when
and if they even stuck to one or another - or just slop-tuned their
piano until it sounded "OK". Jason's wonderful website
notwithstanding, please keep in mind that published temperaments are
essentially the work of scholars and mathematicians, and may or may
not represent widespread practice at any given time or in any given
place. Remember the following:

Musical culture until well into the 19th century is very localized -
practices as to temperament probably varied widely depending on locality.
A published temperament might have been reflecting the practice
already in use for many or decades. Or maybe a pioneering conception
that was never widely adopted. Or maybe a passing fad - there is no
way to know...  And until well into the 19th century musicians tuned
their own pianos - the professional tuner comes on the scene with the
modern piano, sometime in mid 19th century. There was no "tuners'
guild" to maintain standards... So who knows what kind of "intonation
environment" (if any steady one) any given composer lived in...

So, there is no sense in arguing the "correctness" of using WT on
pianos - and in any case, it's irrelevant. There is only one
consideration that is pretty much a constant throughout the entire
history of music - musicians will adopt whatever appeals to them or
whatever they think will appeal to their audiences. And that's the
only thing that matters...

Israel Stein